Spoiler Alert

Everything on this blog comes with a prior warning: SPOILERS AHEAD. If the film I'm reviewing is God-awful or if is based on a book that has been out for more than 10 years, I might not even warn you in the post. So yeah.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Crazy, Stupid, Love



It was the perfect blend of laugh-out-loud funny, and all THE FEELS. It was a little weird with the baby-sitter thing (you'll know it when you see it) and that made me cringe a bit, but other than that, it was actually pretty sweet. It was just REALLY good, like I can't remember the last time I had such a good time watching a rom-com! Well, maybe I should stop calling it a rom-com--it was a blemd of romance/drama and comedy, so yeah.
It has Steve Carrel, Julianne Moore, RYAN justkillmenow GOSLING, and someone who is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses, Emma freakin' Stone.

Ryan Gosling lookin' dapper

So needless to say, the acting was spot-on; there was a lot of talent on screen, and they all fit in to their respective roles like a well-flitting glove. Though it may not look like it, everything was well-thought out, I feel, form the clothes they wore, to the places they shot at.
The direction was perfect, because SO much could have gone wrong with this thing, but it didn't. It fell into place perfectly. The story-line was a mixture of all sorts of the usual tropes--which is what made it unusual and refreshing in a sense, I think. It had the 'gets a makeover' trope, and it had the 'kid who makes the lead realize what love is about' trope and it had the 'playboy falls for the sweet girl and talks about his feelings all night' trope as well. It was a blend of all these things, which is why it would have been SO easy to mess up or lose track of what's going on, but it wasn't.

Steve Carrel gets a makeover y'all

Each of the characters got their own little screen time, which is something I personally love because you get to see that they aren't just characters written in for the convenience of story-telling alone, and that they have their own roles and back-story too. This made them seem real enough to empathize with. Special shout-out to Julianne Moore here because she didn't make me hate her character even though it would have been easy enough to do so given the first impression we get of her. Maybe this was not just the actor, but because of the director and the person in charge of the script/screenplay as well (for showing all sides, and mildly, but justly, justifying all actions--as unreasonable as it may seem, they still made it seem...reasonable?), so I guess this is just a shout-out to all of them.

Congratulations, I don't hate your character which would have been hard to do, I think. But you played her like she were a person, and maybe that's why no one actually disliked her so much.

The story itself was warm, and the dialogues weren't cliched, and like I previously said, it was refreshing in a sense because there were so many tropes in one single film.
The movie was highly enjoyable, though!
And yes, though I can be a critic too, I'm going to go ahead and not criticize this movie much because I really enjoyed it.

4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment