Spoiler Alert

Everything on this blog comes with a prior warning: SPOILERS AHEAD. If the film I'm reviewing is God-awful or if is based on a book that has been out for more than 10 years, I might not even warn you in the post. So yeah.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Tomorrow People



This is a show, that's based off another show of the same name which aired in 1973. I have no idea what that show was like and how well it was received, but this version so far, has my full attention.

 
The Tomorrow People, 1973

Let me give you the opening monologue for you:
"My name is Stephen Jameson, and I'm one of the Tomorrow People. The call our powers the three T's: telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation. There's a shadow war between us and Ultra, a secret organization that hunts us. The only way to keep our species from going extinct is by finding my father... and the only way to do that is by working for the enemy."

Dramatic, much? Yes, actually.
And, well, that opening mono is pretty much the entire show for you--this seemingly ordinary guy who suffers from 'mental disorders' (such as hearing voices and finding himself waking up in places he did not sleep in) discovers he has no mental disorders after all, and in fact, has these superpowers which enable him to read other people's minds at will, teleport to any place he wants to, and control objects telekinetically. He is immediately confronted by this group of people who're just like him--they call themselves 'The Tomorrow People'. But RIGHT after THAT, these men in suits show up and force him to join them; it turns out that these men in suits are the 'bad guys' who recruit these super-humans to perform experiments on.
He ends up being a double agent, and without revealing too much, that's the show's outline for you.

Weird-ass experiment at Ultra. Also, this Stephen Jameson guy is supposed to be 18. WHICH 18 YEAR OLD IS THIS BUFF? wtf? Ugh, television.


But OHMYGOD the plot twists keep coming! 
I'll admit, there were times when it felt like I was just watching some pretty faces trying to keep the show going, but I think the actors themselves needed time to get used to their characters or something; because mid-season, the show picks up, and no I haven't finished the season yet, but I can already tell that this is going to be great.

Seriously, just look at these pretty faces


There's also this really annoying love triangle in the middle which honestly came off weird, but they don't dwell on it much and move on instantly, sort of (thank the LORD).
The casting's fine, I guess--they're all new faces for me except for Mark Pellegrino--



--who played Lucifer on Supernatural, and for guest star (who's recurring) Alexa Vega from Spy Kids.
The writing's pretty good. Suuure, sometimes the dialogues are a little cliched, but they mostly come off genuine enough.

All in all, so far, I'd give it 3.75 on 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment