Spoiler Alert

Everything on this blog comes with a prior warning: SPOILERS AHEAD. If the film I'm reviewing is God-awful or if is based on a book that has been out for more than 10 years, I might not even warn you in the post. So yeah.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro

This movie was so long, it could have been TWO movies.
I don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing--when a movie seems long, I mean.

It was funny in a pun-ny way, so needless to say I thought it was hilarious. I think I LOVE this trilogy/installment/whatever over Tobey McGuire's because that guy just seemed like he was trying too hard, and he ALWAYS. CRIED. FOR. EVERYTHING.
So Andrew Garfield FTW. And Emma Stone is super pretty as well.

Okay, so on to the movie:
First off, LOOK at this poster!



Awesome!
It's based off a comic-book, so again, if you're walking in thinking of Inception-like movie-intensity, you are just stupid. I mean, really?
So that being said, it's a "fun" movie to watch. Whenever Peter Parker dons the Spider-Man spandex, he becomes this sarcastic, fourth-wall-breaking superhero that constantly verges on comedy/irony that your usual 'serious' superheroes from Marvel don't do, which is so awesome! It's just what we need, I think (this is also a secret cry for that Deadpool movie to happen).
The villain is Elecrto, played very well by Jamie Foxx, although his acting does sometimes come off as...well, acting. It's not too good. It's like, you KNOW he's acting, you know? The villain's character itself was okay, I guess, and I'm tempted to say that it was unbelievable in a sense, but whattheactualhell, THIS IS A STORY ABOUT A MAN SPIDER, AFTER ALL. So really, who am I to judge?
Electro is just one villain in this thing, btw. There are like THREE by the time the movie gets over, so maybe that's why I thought the movie seemed too long.
The second villain, obviously, is Harry Osborn, and dayum, he is a looker just like the other one was (James Franco). Just sayin'. Played by Dane DeHaan, this character is I think in many ways, better portrayed than the original one.

JUST LOOK AT HIS FACE:

Gosh, he looks good playing the troubled anti-hero. Not a lot of people can pull that off. I see a lot of badness in this one; akin to Tom Hiddleston, too.

I think maybe the script is just better, and the actors are fantastic and so is the directing. I mean, these things play such a huge role in what a movie ends up like, and even though the story-line is the same, EVERTHING is different. The perfect illustration of this would be the difference in the aired and the un-aired pilot for the TV show Sherlock. The dialogues in most scenes is literally the same, and yet EVERYTHING is different. It's a prime example of what a director alone does to a particular piece, and that being said, I think everything falls into place in a much better sense with this Spider-man installment/trilogy thing than it did with Tobey McGuire.
Dane DeHaan is a better actor than Jamie Foxx is, man. In this movie, at least. He seemed much more believable I guess; I'm not sure if it's because of the character or because of the acting itself, honestly. Maybe it's both.
Oh wait, I think it was the character. Because looking back, for the second-half of the movie, I thought Jamie F did a better job as Electro like holy crap he was GOOD. Damn. Maybe it was CGI. Maybe it was him. You'll never know.
The chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield was OBVIOUSLY really good. Dane DeHaan is a FANTASTIC Harry Osborn and Jamie Foxx was a good Electro too, I can't argue with that.

Special mention: RYAN FROM THE OFFICE IS IN IT! Hahaha! It was nice watching him in something other than The Office. Siggghhh, B.J. Novak.

To keep it short, it was a good watch, and I do NOT regret any moment of it. Though I do think it should come with a warning for (***SPOILER ALERT***DO NOT READ***) major character death.

And seeing as how I can be a critic too, I would give it a 3 on 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment